Vixen POLARIE Star Tracker
Weighing 740g only that you can carry around easily with luggage and camera bag, this is a lightweight compact item to shoot nightscape photograph. Through a simple setting, the POLARIE can move the camera according to the diurnal movement of the celestial objects and enable automatic tracking which makes it possible to take a pin point stars for extended exposure time.
With the starry sky as one landscape, leave the beauty of the earth and the universe in one picture.
With the starry sky as one landscape, leave the beauty of the earth and the universe in one picture … That is “Nightscape Photograph”. POLARIE expands the world of nightscape photography, and everyone can experience the real pleasure of shooting. “Nightscape photograph” is a photograph of stars and scenery together, such as the Milky Way and Mountains spreading in the sky, or constellations and buildings. Unlike ‘Astrophotography’ which enlarges one point of a starry sky, it is important to mainly use a wide-angle lens in “nightscape photograph”, how to combine stars and scenery. The possibility of the composition is infinite, it is a landscape photograph of a new generation that anyone can enjoy easily.
POLARIE Star Tracker is a motor driven camera platform that moves according to the movement of stars. By shooting with camera on the POLARIE and on a tripod, it becomes possible to incorporate pin-point stars beautifully into a work.
The Polarie Star Tracker from Vixen Optics is an incredibly compact, motorized, tracking mount. The smooth and sleek, visually attractive Polarie attaches to a standard camera tripod with a ball head on one side and a DSLR or smaller camera on the other up to 7 pounds. Point the Polarie north with the integrated compass, use the alignment window by pointing it at Polaris, the North Star, or use an optional polar scope. Star trails and false fuzzies are eliminated in the time exposures of the attached camera as the Polarie tracks the motion of the stars across the celestial dome. Two user-supplied AA batteries can power the unit for ~4 hours or an optional external power supply (not included) can be used. Although, not waterproof, the Polarie is designed to function in most weather conditions. It weighs in at less than an incredible 1½ lbs and is about the size of a paperback book. This is one cool astrophotography star tracker.
- Compact size: Stylish like SLR-camera
- Lightweight: The compact body of 800g is suited for climbing and travel.
- Compatible with zoom lens kit: The capacity covers camera lens of focal length from wide angle to 100mm.
- Battery and external power drive: Using two AA Alkaline batteries, it operates for 2 hours. You can reduce baggage when shooting.Possible to use external power supply for a long time operation.
- Simple set-up for shooting: Built-in compass and tiltmeter facilitate set-up.
- High operability even in the dark: Backlighted mode dial assures smooth operation even in the dark. The dial illuminates in red in all modes except turned OFF. The dial illuminates in green when used in the southern hemisphere.
- 4 modes: Backlighted mode dial assures smooth operation even in the dark. The dial illuminates in red in all modes except turned OFF. The dial illuminates in green when used in the southern hemisphere.
Vixen POLARIE Star Tracker Specifications
- Tracking mode: Celestial tracking rate, 1/2 celestial tracking rate, solar tracking rate, lunar tracking rate. Compatible in northern and southern hemisphere
- Wheel gear: 57.6mm dia. Aluminum alloy axis with full-circle 144-tooth.
- Worm gear: 9mm dia. high tension brass
- Polar axis: 40mm dia. aluminum alloy
- Bearings: 2 pieces
- Drive: Pulse motor (stepper motor)
- Loading capacity: Approx. 2.0kg (4.4 lbs)
- Polar sight hole: 8.9°field of view
- Tiltmeter: Angles between 0°and 70°(5°increments)
- Standard accessory: Built-in compass
- Power supply: 2x AA battery (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Ni-Cd), external power supply (USB miniB)
- Working voltage: DC2.4-3.0V, Max. 0.6A (AA Battery), DC4.4-5.25V, Max. 0.3A (External power)
- Operating duration: Approx. 2 hours (20°C, 2kg loaded, Alkaline)
- Operating temperature: 0 to 40°C
- Dimensions: 95x137x58mm
- Weight: 740g without batteries