Celestron Advanced VX 8″ Newtonian Telescope
The Advanced VX (AVX) sets a standard in mid-level telescopes, providing many of the features found on Celestron’s most sophisticated German equatorial mounts at an extremely affordable price. The Advanced VX 8” Newtonian telescope is an excellent entry- to mid-level setup that can grow with you. The Newtonian optical design is excellent for visual observing and offers you the largest aperture for the price. The parabolic primary mirror minimizes spherical aberration to produce a sharper image near the edge of the field of view. The 8” Newtonian optical tube offers 78% more light gathering ability than the 6” Newtonian optical tube. The Advanced VX mount is designed to provide superior performance for smaller telescopes while taking advantage of Celestron’s most advanced technologies: All-Star Polar Alignment, Celestron PWI telescope control software, SkyAlign, and permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC).
If you’re an experienced imager, you’ll love taking this portable mount to a dark sky site and enjoying all the conveniences of a larger observatory mount. Or, if you’re new to imaging, Advanced VX will help you get started with the hobby and keep up with your needs for years to come.
Computerized German Equatorial Mount
The Advanced VX is the smallest of Celestron’s German equatorial mounts. The computerized GoTo capability automatically tracks objects as they move across the night sky. The Advanced VX mount includes ports for a hand control, an autoguider, and 2 AUX ports for optional accessories. The NexStar+ hand control gives you instant access to all the functions your mount has to offer. With automatic slewing and menu descriptions, any level of astronomer can master this mount in just a few observing sessions. The Advanced VX also has an impressive tripod for its class with a 2” diameter steel tripod legs providing an extra-wide stance for improved stability.
The payload capacity for the Advanced VX is 30 lb. It offers a sturdy platform for any of the Advanced VX optical tubes, even when paired with optional accessories like StarSense AutoAlign, Focus Motor, a finderscope, and a camera. Celestron’s payload capacity does not include the weight of the counterweights.
Dual Saddle Plate
As of early 2019, Advanced VX mounts include a dual saddle plate that accommodates both CG-5 and CGE-style dovetail. Switching between the two saddle plates is as simple as moving the hand knobs into a separate set of holes. You can use an Advanced VX mount with virtually any optical tube within its weight limit. Compatible with Vixen format dovetails 100mm or longer, not compatible with Losmandy D format plates (regardless of plate manufacturer).
- Celestron PWI Telescope Control Software
- Your Ultimate Astronomy Software Suite
All current Celestron computerized telescopes include Celestron PWI (CPWI), the most advanced astronomy software suite provided with any consumer-grade telescope. Celestron’s experts co-developed CPWI with the engineers at PlaneWave Instruments. The result is an all-in-one solution offering you many of the same features used on PlaneWave’s observatory-class telescopes.
- Graphical planetarium interface with PointXP advanced mount modelling allows you to add 100+ points to your alignment model for the most accurate pointing and tracking possible
- Ideal for remote observatory setups: save and re-load your alignment and park your scope
- Provides a complete ASCOM telescope interface to allow control of the telescope from third party software applications
For more information on CPWI and to see the user interface, click here.
Starry Night Software
Included with your purchase is a free download of Celestron’s Starry Night Special Edition Software. This advanced software by Simulation Curriculum offers detailed information about celestial objects and helps you plan your next observing or imaging session. The Special Edition software also allows you to control your telescope via computer.
Celestron Advanced VX 8 Specifications
Optical Tube Info:
- Optical Design: Newtonian Reflector
- Aperture: 200mm (7.87″)
- Focal Length: 1000mm (39″)
- Focal Ratio: f/5
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 20mm (.8″)
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 50x
- Finderscope: 9×50
- Star Diagonal: N/A
- Optical Tube: Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification: 472x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 29x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 14
- Resolution (Rayleigh): .7 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): .58 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 816x
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 56mm (2.2″)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 28%
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 7.81%
- Optical Coatings: Fully Coated
- Optical Tube Length: 914mm (36″)
- Optical Tube Weight: 22 lbs (9.98 kg)
- Optical Tube Diameter: 235mm (9.25″)
- Dovetail: CG-5 Dovetail bar
- Mount Type: Computerized Equatorial
- Instrument load capacity: 30 lbs (13.6 kg)
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod): 1118mm – 1626mm (44″ – 64″)
- Tripod Leg Diameter: 50.8mm (2″) Stainless Steel
- Latitude adjustment range: 7° – 77°
- Mount Head Weight: 17 lbs (7.71 kg)
- Accessory Tray: Yes
- Tripod Weight: 18 lbs (8.16 kg)
- Weight of Counterweights: 1 x 12 lbs
- Slew Speeds: 9 slew speeds – max speed 4°/second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes: EQ North and EQ South
- GPS: N/A
- Dovetail Compatibility: Dual saddle plates (CG-5 and CGE saddle)
- Number of Auxiliary Ports: 3 AUX Ports (1 hand control and 2 AUX Ports for optional accessories)
- Autoguide Port: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, input on Hand Control
- Power Requirements: 12V DC 3.5A (tip positive)
- Motor Drive: DC servo motors with encoders on both axes
- Alignment Procedures: 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last
- Alignment, Quick Align
- Periodic Error Correction: Yes
- Computerized Hand Control: 2 line x 18 character backlit Liquid Crystal Display, 19 LED backlit buttons, USB 2.0 Port for PC connection
- NexStar+ Database: 40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects
- Software: Celestron Starry Night Special Edition Software and SkyPortal App
- Total Kit Weight: 57 lbs (25.85 kg)
- Advanced VX Equatorial Head and tripod
- Accessory Tray
- 1 x 12 lbs counterweight
- NexStar+ Hand Control
- DC Power Cable
- Hand Control Holster
- Never look directly at the Sun with the naked eye or with an optic (unless you have the proper solar filter). Permanent and irreversible eye damage may result.
- Never use your optic to project an image of the Sun onto any surface. Internal heat build-up can damage the optic and any accessories attached to it.
- Never leave your optic unsupervised. Make sure an adult who is familiar with the correct operating procedures is with your optic at all times, especially when children are present.