AM3 has a large load capacity from 8kg to 13kg. While portability is very important, stability is also essential in use. Instead of blindly pursuing the lightweight of the mount body, ZWO is more so along the lines of stability for an entire use. The internal structure of the body is optimized with the strain wave gear reducer and synchronous belt, bringing more accurate control and an amazing reduction ratio of 300:1. It is also multi-functional that can be used as both an equatorial mount or an altazimuth mount. You can either control the mount via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, or a hand controller.
The traditional equatorial mount requires heavy counterweights. It can be very difficult to keep balance in RA and DEC directions, and also inconvenient for transit and storage, which brings amateur astrophotographers a lot of pain when they are out for imaging.
Some of the strain wave geared drive mounts are relatively simple in functions, insufficient in load capacity, and also not very stable in use.
Customized Strain Wave Gear
ZWO developed the special strain wave gear based on the actual needs for astrophotography. It comes with very low periodic error and high torque. Each mount is tested and equipped with an exclusive PE curve before it leaves the factory so that the quality can be guaranteed.
3.9kg Net Weight
- The load capacity of AM3 without the counterweight is 8kg, and 13kg with the counterweight.
- The counterweight should be secured on a counterweight bar of no more than 20cm in length.
- According to the engineering calculations, we can calculate the maximum load capacity of the AM3 mount:
- 8kg without the counterweight
- 13kg with the counterweight.
- Supported counterweight:≤5kg
- The counterweight should be secured on a counterweight bar of no more than 25cm in length
Equatorial Mode / Altazimuth Mode
- Can be switched via ASI Mount App or hand controller
- Equatorial Mode: Suitable for tracking and photographing objects
- Altazimuth Mode: Suitable for visual astronomy
All-round 0°-90° Pitch Angle
- Gear 1: Allow you to adjust the pitch angle grip to achieve a degree between 0 and 60.
- Gear 2: You can loosen the hex-head screw and then adjust the pitch angel grip to achieve a degree between 30 and 90.
Rocker-style Hand Controller
Seamless Linkage with ASIAIR
ASIAIR can control AM5 via a wired or wireless connection. The ASI package gives customers the best astrophotography experience.