Celestron’s signature orange-tube telescope combines advanced features and excellent optics in one easy-to-use system, the NexStar 5SE. It’s the perfect choice for your first serious telescope, offering striking views at an economical price.
Our Founder’s Vision, Reimagined for the 21st Century
In the 1970s, Celestron’s Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes brought the hobby of astronomy to the masses and established Celestron as the world’s premier telescope maker. Our founder, Tom Johnson, invented Celestron’s proprietary method of producing Schmidt corrector plates for superior views and maximum portability. Johnson believed in creating high-quality optical instruments at an affordable price, and inspired a generation of amateur astronomers.
Four decades later, we’ve improved upon this design by adding cutting-edge features, while staying true to our founder’s intent.
View the Universe’s Most Impressive Celestial Objects
The 5SE’s five-inch primary mirror packs enough light-gathering ability to observe the best that the solar system has to offer: Saturn’s rings, the cloud bands on Jupiter, and geographic features on the surface of the Moon. When it comes to deep sky objects, take your 5SE to a dark-sky site and you’ll see hundreds of pinpoint stars in the Hercules Globular Cluster, the spiral arms of the Whirlpool Galaxy, and more.
Revolutionary Single Fork Arm Mount
We know the best telescope is the one you will use most often. That’s why Celestron’s engineers created NexStar SE’s unique, patented single fork arm mount. It’s perfectly portable and makes setup quick and easy. What’s more, the NexStar SE breaks down into several lightweight and compact pieces, making it easy to transport, even in small vehicles. You’ll have no problem getting the NexStar SE to your favorite observing site, or setting it up quickly in your backyard.
Of course, it’s what’s inside the mount that really counts. Sturdy construction from high-quality components give NexStar SE the pointing and tracking accuracy needed to observe and follow your favorite targets with push-button ease. Use the included NexStar+ hand control to locate over 40,000 celestial objects, or take a Sky Tour and let your telescope show you the best objects currently visible.
Aligning your telescope is simple and painless, too, thanks to SkyAlign. This process makes alignment as easy as 1-2-3: just center three bright objects in your eyepiece and press ALIGN. For even easier alignment, attach our StarSense AutoAlign and your NexStar SE aligns itself!
Advanced Features Let the NexStar SE Grow with You
The NexStar SE is compatible with all the high-tech accessories advanced users love. Provide GPS coordinates to your telescope with SkySync, or add automatic alignment functionality with StarSense AutoAlign.
If you want to explore the world of astroimaging, the 5SE is a perfect choice. Its built-in wedge allows you to track long exposures. You can even remove the telescope’s secondary mirror and replace it with a DSLR or astronomical CCD camera for wide field images captured at f/2 using a Fastar/HyperStar lens assembly. Or, if you’re interested in imaging the Moon and planets, pair your NexStar 5SE with one of our Skyris cameras. From your first observing session and for years to come, the NexStar SE is your trusted companion.
Optical Tube Info:
- Optical Design: Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Aperture: 125mm (4.92″)
- Focal Length: 1250mm (49″)
- Focal Ratio: f/10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 25mm (.98″)
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 50x
- Finderscope: StarPointer™ red dot finderscope
- Star Diagonal: 1.25″ Star Diagonal
- Optical Tube: Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification: 295x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 18x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 13
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 1.11 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 0.93 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 329x
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 51mm (2.0″)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 40% %
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 16.6% %
- Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
- Optical Tube Length: 330mm (13″)
- Optical Tube Diameter: 152mm (6″)
- Optical Tube Weight: 6 lbs (2.7 kg)
- Dovetail: CG-5 Dovetail bar
- Mount Type: Computerized Altitude-Azimuth Single Fork Arm
- Instrument load capacity: 10 lbs (4.54 kg)
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod): 939.8mm – 2397mm (37″ – 55″)
- Tripod leg diameter: 38.1mm (1.5″) Stainless Steel
- Mount Head Weight: 7 lbs (3.2 kg)
- Accessory Tray: Yes
- Tripod Weight: 10 lbs (4.54 kg)
- Slew Speeds: 9 slew speeds – max speed 3°/second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes: Alt-Az, EQ North and EQ South
- GPS: N/A
- Dovetail Compatibility: CG-5 dovetail
- Number of Auxiliary Ports: 1x AUX Port
- Autoguide Port: No
- USB Port: Yes, Hand Control input
- Power Requirements: 8-AA batteries (not included) | 12 VDC-750 mA (Tip positive)
- Motor Drive: DC servo motors
- Alignment Procedures: SkyAlign, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, Auto 2-Star Align, Solar System Align, EQ North / EQ South Alignment (EQ align requires an equatorial wedge)
- Periodic Error Correction: No
- Computerized Hand Control: Double line, 18 character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
- NexStar+ Database: 38,181 accessible objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects.
- Software: Celestron Starry Night Special Edition Software | SkyPortal App
- Total Kit Weight: 17.6 lbs (8 kg)
Optical tube | Single Fork Arm Mount and Tripod | Accessory Tray | Star Pointer Finderscope | Built-In Wedge | NexStar+ Hand Control | 25mm eyepiece | Star Diagonal
Never look directly at the Sun with the naked eye or with an optic (unless you have the proper solar filter). Permanent and irreversible eye damage may result.
Never use your optic to project an image of the Sun onto any surface. Internal heat build-up can damage the optic and any accessories attached to it.
Never leave your optic unsupervised. Make sure an adult who is familiar with the correct operating procedures is with your optic at all times, especially when children are present.
- 1.25″ 2X Achromatic Barlow – To get more magnification while observing your favorite planet
- Universal Smartphone Adapter – To capture pictures of Moon and planets right in your smartphone immediately as you observe it.
- T-Ring (Canon) – To capture photos with your Canon EOS DSLR using Telescope tube as high focal length lens for camera.
- T-Ring (Nikon) – To capture photos with your NIKON DSLR using Telescope tube as high focal length lens for camera.
- T-Ring (Sony) – To capture photos with your Sony DSLR using Telescope tube as high focal length lens for camera.
- 1.25″ T-Mount/Adapter – To attached any DSLR directly in the eyepiece barrel when using in combination with DSLR TRing.
- Customized Telescope Padded bag: Designed to keep your Telescope safe from sudden damages to optics and body, safe of dust and dirt, easy carrying solution.